Look at others through the eyes of Jesus - Church at First Baptist Pasadena

I've been on study leave this past week in Los Angeles. This morning I worshiped with First Baptist Church of Pasadena. I've come to this church probably 7 times over the last 9 years. There was a lot of stuff that was great for worship. The theme was to learn to look at others (meaning people outside the Christian faith) as Jesus did... gracefully, with curiosity, wonder and as beautiful.
  • FBC is in an old traditional style sanctuary and they used digital art that evoked the ancient nature of the space. They've been doing that well for a few years.
  • This time they coupled it well musically. The service started as a prayer to be people of peace. It was a Celtic number. Started slowly with violin and then built into the full band and a pretty up beat number. If it had started where it finished I would have felt whiplash. As it was, I entered into worship. This is the first time I've attended a service at FBC where all the music was contemporary.  I think when I first came they were all organ and hymns. They've slowly made a transition over the years. Last year around this time I remember hearing a big pipe organ prelude then jumping into a full on contemporary sound. It didn't work. This did. Well done.
  • Pastor and congregation seemed to have a good relationship. This was true even though it was clear that some of the long term members haven't bought the changes (multimedia, contemporary singing, etc). They were quiet (and respectful?) during the songs, videos and even sermon. Not sure what to do with those guys.
  • Best offering intro I've ever heard. (Seriously)
  • Highlight of the sermon was the finish with Reinhold Niebuhr's famous Serenity Prayer. Many people know the first few lines. I think the last few are the most powerful.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying on moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next. Amen.

My two recommendations for this congregation is that they vary the speed of things happening within the service itself. I noted that it started slow and built up. I would love to see them experiment with slowing things down at times both musically and (especially) in the sermon. I think this one sermon could have been a three part series.

And they should consider turning the vocal mics (both for singing and preaching) down about two levels. The levels as they are were just a tiny bit below irritating. Could go down and be in a more comfortable range.

Popular Posts