Heart is where the money is

I recently came across an UNBELIEVABLE article about, John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods Markets. Whole Foods (for those that don't know) is an upscale chain of organic supermarkets in the States.

Apparently in November John sent a letter to the employees.

"The second part of today's announcement has to do with my own compensation....
The tremendous success of Whole Foods Market has provided me with far more money than I ever dreamed I'd have and far more than is necessary for either my
financial security or personal happiness.... I am now 53 years old and I have
reached a place in my life where I no longer want to work for money, but simply
for the joy of the work itself and to better answer the call to service that I
feel so clearly in my own heart. Beginning on January 1, 2007, my salary will be
reduced to $1, and I will no longer take any other cash compensation.... The
intention of the board of directors is for Whole Foods Market to donate all of
the future stock options I would be eligible to receive to our two company
foundations."

- Fast Company Magazine, February 2007

That's AWESOME! Way to go John! Some of you will know that Rick Warren did something similar after the success of the Purpose Driven Life book. He actually repaid his entire salary for all years to his church. He wanted to serve the Lord for free.

Obviously this is a luxury that not many people can afford. But for those who can - it's a tremendously wonderful thing.

One of the truly sad things I see in church is that - too often church people approach our finances in exactly the same way as everyone else. God, at best, gets what's left over. That's not how the Bible teaches us to do things. It's certainly not what Jesus taught. I find it sad how playful Christians gets with the sin of greed while we are so voracious with other well-known 'sins'. If you look at Scripture - greed is actually at the head of Jesus' list of stuff you can do to mess up your life.

Recently at ICB, I've been inspired by some of our sacrificial financial donors. In addition to the fact that more money helps us do more ministry. I also think what Jesus said was very true, "Where your money is, your heart is also."

Did I quote that right? Better look it up to make sure.

Popular Posts