Straight talk and preaching

A quick plug... this Sunday is going to be great at ICB. Don't miss it if you are in Bangkok. We have TON OF PEOPLE JOINING THE CHURCH. BAPTISMS. And the next installment in Abundant Life: how not to screw yours up... (that's not really the series title).

Now to "straight talk and preaching"... I've been reading a biography of Charles Spurgeon. Towards the end there is a really interesting appraisal of his preaching. The argument is that Spurgeon's preaching got less effective as he got older BECAUSE HE BECAME LESS WILLING TO SPEAK HIS MIND. His critics wore him down.


Mr. Spurgeon deals in broad sayngs, in plain speaking, in strong, vigorous,
unqualified expressions. That is what an effective sermon should be, as is
the essence of a proverb. A preacher cannot waste-if it is wasting-his time
in looking out for counter-views, in making allowance for qualifications....
Hence it is that people preach best in their youth, and that many a good
preacher gets afraid of the pulpit.... It requires a certain narrow-mindedness to preach what is effective.


I gotta say. This is really interesting and I suspect there is an element of truth to the assessment. I wouldn't put it the same way. I think too much worry about what people will think of say robs us of emotion and passion and that comes across as lack of conviction. I know I suffer(ed) from this. Seminary created in me such 'sensitivity' to a million different viewpoints that at one time or another I was afraid to say something like, "Jonah was swallowed by the whale" for fear that someone would object that I obviously didn't care about people who can't accept that.

Imagine the barriers that kind of 'sensitivity' has to more significant truths! What is the difference between proper sensitivity and being overly sensitive? Between being secure and confident and being arrogant?

Popular Posts