When pastoring is hard

The hardest part of being a pastor is counseling someone to do something that might ultimately prove painful for them. There are lots of times when the 'right' choice is life produces pain. Even the choice to be Christian can be painful. Jesus pointed out that it can divide families.

I remember my friend Mack Stiles told a story... I can't remember if he was preaching or someone else, but someone preached in a Kenyan high school. After the message a boy (about 12 years old) came up and said that he'd met Jesus during the talk. Normally this is reason for celebration. So why was the boy crying? And they were't tears of joy, but tears of fear and pain and suffering.

Mack asked the boy why he was crying and he said, "Because when I go home and tell my father I am now a Christian, he will beat me."

What do you do?

Although I've never had to deal with threats of physical violence, I've seen this play out in other ways over my ministry. Parents who don't want their children getting too involved in church. One spouse 'scheduling' conflicts when his wife (or her husband) discovers (or rediscovers) faith. Friends who all of a sudden have tickets to all the coolest events that just happen to occur at the same time as the worship services at church.

I actually had a guy in one church schedule 'puppy shopping' for Sunday morning the minute he learned his kids were digging church! :)

If you are reading this and you have supportive friends and family. Stop and thank God now. Especially if those who are being supportive do not share your faith. That is a tremendous blessing. Also pray for those who are not so fortunate. Pray for those who fear telling their parents, brothers, sisters, friends, children... about their faith.

If you are reading this and you are one of the ones who doesn't get support. If your family puts up barriers. If your friends discourage and challenge your faith. If you feel alone, know that you are not alone. It's worth it to be right with God. Hang in there.

It won't surprise anyone to know that this issue came up recently for a friend of mine.

Popular Posts